Industry Insights

Replace an S Pass card

Posted on 6/04/2021 by Paula Formantes


You need to apply for a new S Pass card within 1 week after it is lost, damaged, or stolen.

At a glance

When to replace

If your pass card is lost, stolen, or damaged, you must get your employer to apply for a replacement within 1 week.


  • For a stolen card, you must also file a police report.

If you lost the card while overseas, your employer must inform us immediately. We will issue a letter for you to use when entering Singapore.

Who can apply

Employer or appointed employment agent (EA).

How much it costs

For a damaged card, the fee is $60.

For a lost card, the fee is:

  • $100 for the first loss.
  • $300 for subsequent losses.

Fees are non-refundable.

How long it takes

Immediate for most cases.

Card collection: 4 working days after approval.



  • If the card is lost repeatedly, your employer will need to make an appointment to attend an interview with you. The card replacement application is subject to approval.
  • If the lost card is found, please return it to us immediately by post: Ministry of Manpower, 18 Havelock Road, Singapore 059764.

Apply for a replacement card

When: Within 1 week of damage or loss

Processing time: Immediate for most cases

To submit an application:

  1. Log in to EP Online to apply.
  2. Pay the replacement fees using GIRO, or eNETS credit, or debit.
  • Once you submit the request, no refund is allowed.
  1. If the application is approved, print the card replacement letter. It will have instructions on collecting the replacement card.

Collect the replacement card

When: 4 working days after approval

The pass holder can collect the card at MOM Services Centre - Hall C 4 working days after the application is approved. You don't need an appointment for card collection.

Bring along these documents for the visit:

  • Original passport
  • Card replacement letter
  • The damaged card (if applicable)
  • Completed declaration form (for lost or stolen cards)
  • Police report (for stolen cards)

Note: Overseas police reports should be translated into English.

For lost or stolen cards, the pass holder must collect the replacement card in person.

For replacement of damaged cards, you can authorize someone to collect the card on the pass holder's behalf. Make sure the authorized person brings these along:

  • An authorization letter from your company
  • NRIC, pass card, or passport for verification
  • The damaged card

For more information on job vacancies, please contact +65 6334 4328 or email at